Monday, September 10, 2012

She's Here!

I had this grandiose plan to quickly write a gorgeous and giddy blog post about our new arrival - Bridget Molly Trapp - but then life hit me and I haven't had time for sleep let alone blogging!

So, I write to you today with the "short" version of how our wonderful "Bridgey-Bridge" {known to her family} joined us on June 16th. There is a very tender back-story to her arrival, but I will save that for another day.

I had a feeling on June 15th that the 16th might be "The Day", so I snapped one last shot of my incredibly uncomfortable belly before going to bed. Yeah, it was as uncomfortable as it looks.

"OUCH!" is all I can think, looking back on this
The morning of the 16th I came to my hubby in the kitchen at 5:15am - he gets up at 5am every morning {nuts!} - and said, "Well, I think today might be the day!" He replied, "Really? Have you been feeling contractions?" I explained I'd felt them off/on since 3:30am. His reply, "So should I go for my bike ride now?" {Insert grumpy-about-to-pop-pregnant-mommy face.} By the way, you should all know that my husband is quite possibly the best husband and dad ever, this just wasn't one of his best moments.

I took our firstborn {our pup, Ellie} for a walk and returned at 6:30am with very infrequent contractions so yes, I gave my sweet hubby the green light to go for a ride.

Contractions became consistent around 10:30am and by noon I realized it was going to happen within 24 hours! {I was in labor for 29 hours with my first; 9 hours with my second. Word of advise: WALK as soon as your contractions start. It shaved off 20 hours for me!}

My friend Jessica came over and walked around the block a few times with me, then I called my mom to come up from Santa Barbara. I told her she didn't need to rush, but it'd be good for her to leave as soon as she could.

Fast-forward 2 hours and my mom arrives when I'm madly pacing in our backyard, "strongly encouraging" my kids to pack up their overnight bags for their first sleepover, all the while trying to not bite their heads off. My husband was attempting to take a nap. {This blog makes him sound horrible but we agreed he should nap since we didn't know how long the process was going to take and I needed him to be strong. Little did we know how fast things would go...}

By 3:45pm I decided it was time to go to the hospital. With my second, I was in the hospital for 48 minutes before she was born and I didn't want to cut it too close with my third. {Ha!}

4pm is the last time I recorded a contraction on my phone as we headed out our front door. {"Full Term" is an awesome app, btw!} Jessica came and got our kids right as my hubby and I were heading to our car. Mom followed quickly behind. {She was at my first daughter's birth by accident almost - it went so quickly no one had a choice - but I definitely wanted her in the room for this one.}

I made my husband pull over at the high school so I could walk through my contraction and my water broke! This freaked me out as with my second, as soon as my water broke I HAD to push. Fortunately I didn't feel that sensation with this one but I wanted to get to the hospital fast!

Of course we hit every possible red light on the way there, the last of which I made my husband run it {after stopping for on-coming traffic, of course} and as we pulled into the hospital driveway I kindly yelled out the open window, "Oh for Pete's sake just ride your bike!!!" to a clueless young man riding slooooowly across the driveway.

I'll spare you the details of everything that happened in the hospital. I'll just leave it that they rushed me upstairs, and the nurse who drove me in the wheelchair announced, "Third baby, water broke, urge to push!" which brought on a swarm of nurses. I was told I was 7cm and not allowed to push so I had to "hold it in". {Ya, that's quite possibly the worst feeling ever.} Minutes {seconds?} later I was 9 1/2cm and very soon I was able to push. Two or three pushes later, Bridget joined us as 4:28pm.

Gnarly. Elated. Peaceful. Thankful.

I had "the shakes" after her birth, thus all the blankets on me.
Our "biggest" baby at 6 lbs. 13 oz.
I love her!
More on that back-story soon. Oh yeah, and Cookie+Curly business. ;) For now, with a grateful heart, I sign off... For bed.


1 comment:

  1. So very sweet! They all come in their own time and in their own special way :)