Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Squishy Squashy Spaghetti

I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to introduce it, but tonight was the night the kids had spaghetti squash for the first time. It was a huge success!


I told them what we were having, but I masked it a bit in presentation by serving it in a bowl with lean sausage and marinara sauce. {Sidenote: Trader Joe's Tomato Basil Marinara rocks in taste but watch it as there's 540mg of sodium per 1/2c servings - Yikes!!}

Once it was a proven success, I brought out the actual squash and showed them where their "spaghetti" came from. They were more intrigued by the squash and actually asked to eat it plain, out of the squash, instead of with the sauce in their bowl. Who knew?!

Actually, I confess that very often I serve veggies with marinara sauce. It's my "ketchup" in that I often use it as a dip to aid in getting the kids to eat more. I've realized lately, and I did it again tonight, that I need to stop immediately doing that and instead, let the kids try the veggie raw or cooked the way my husband and I would eat it.

We enjoyed our spaghetti squash with flank steak and sauteed spinach tonight. Hit the spot! What'd you have for dinner?

.molly


No comments:

Post a Comment