Sunday, April 10, 2011

{Autumn Thanks} + {Secret Banana Bread}

{Autumn Thanks}

The turnout to support Autumn and her family at the boutique last week was overwhelmingly positive. Thank you to all who showed up and donated to help make life just a tad bit easier for her family as they encounter daily challenges and struggles. We are praying the Friday was indeed her last day of radiation!

The boutique itself was a mix and mingle of sweet, handmade treats from creative frames made by a talented 10 year-old to sweet headbands and hair accessories, precious hand-appliqued clothes, playful stuffed "monsters", darling crocheted baby beanies and yummy handmade clutches. 


And of course, Cookie+Curly was with mobiles... 

and rings...


and plenty of fabric for custom orders.

The evening was also enjoyed due to a delicious selection of wine and scrumptious goodies to nibble...

as well as beautiful jewelry by Stella&Dot and luxurious skincare products by Aloette.

{Banana Bread}

My wonderful mom came up to take care of my pip-squeakers while I got to attend the boutique. She is incredible and I love knowing that my sweet kiddos are in such caring and tender hands.

One of my mom's top love-languages is gift giving through food. {If you have no idea what I'm talking about when I say "love-language", let me know. You can't go by not knowing these if you want to be in any loving relationship.} She has the best of intentions with this, but sometimes she does not take the second to look at the label and check out how great, or sugar-laden, something can be.

The particular instance I'm thinking of involves Trader Joe's Banana Bread that comes in a yellow box. All you add is water, 2 eggs, and some oil {remember, I always substitute applesauce or avocado for oil in baking}, but it's the ingredients list that drove me nuts. First ingredient: Sugar. Need I say more?

So this is leading me to divulge my super-yummy, deliciously enjoyable banana bread recipe that is a home-run to anyone who tastes it. Perfect for breakfast, a snack, or that little extra something after dinner. Top with nut-butter, egg, or cottage cheese; sprinkle into yogurt; toast for dessert. Enjoy:

Ingredients:
1/3c agave nectar
1/2c Smart Balance {not light}
5 large bananas
1/4c+ no-sugar-added applesauce
6 egg whites {or 3 whole eggs}
1 1/2 all-purpose flour
1c whole wheat flour
1/2c oat bran
1/3+c ground flax
2 1/2 tsp baking soda

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. With electric beater, cream together sugar and butter until well-combined.
3. Add mashed bananas, applesauce, and eggs, beating until blended.
4. Combine all dry ingredients in separate bowl and stir to mix.
5. Blend dry ingredients into banana mixture. Do not over-mix.
6. Pour into two greased loaf pans. Bake 35-45 minutes depending on your oven.
7. Cool on racks before removing from pans.

I promise, this recipe makes many, many people happy. Plus, it's awesome for you body.

What's your favorite banana bread recipe? I'm looking for a great zucchini bread recipe... Anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment